[XeTeX] xelatex + babel and / or polyglossia for Japanese

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 03:21:02 CET 2009

Hi all,

I've discovered the following: if I issue a \setmainfont command prior to \begin{document}, the files gloss-japanese.ldf and gloss-nihongo.ldf work. I.e. the following works as expected:

\documentclass[a4paper,draft,oneside,article]{memoir}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\newfontfamily\cjkfont{Kozuka Mincho Pr6N}

\setdefaultlanguage{nihongo}
\setmainfont{Times New Roman}

\begin{document}

\cjkfont

English, Nederlands, 日本語. But in a table:

\begin{table}[ht]
  \begin{center}
  \caption[]{The caption}
    \begin{tabular}{ccc}
    English & Nederlands & 日本語 \\
    \end{tabular}
  \end{center}
\end{table}

\end{document}

**NOTICE** the other question I asked on the list about the \newfontfamily. With the present example, the 日本語 _does show up_ in the table. I don't know why. Is it absolutely imperative to issue at least one \setmainfont in a document, even if it is a bogus font one does not wish to use?

Cheers,
Wilfred