[XeTeX] spotcolor.sty and XeLaTeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Nov 19 14:20:20 CET 2009

On Nov 18, 2009, at 2:50 PM, Brian C. Ladd wrote:

> (b) If anyone out there either knows of a better way to get PDF/X3
> separations
> or can tell me that I am on the wrong track, please, let me know. I
> am beating
> my head against things I don't understand at this point so any
> pointers are
> appreciated (assume I am very ignorant of PDF's inner workings and
> you will be
> right).

If possible, you could create all of the spot colour elements using a
tool such as Adobe Illustrator which does allow spot colours, then
place those using xelatex, then you'd just need to set everything in
xelatex to be black or a tint of grey --- you could integrate w/ the
spot colour elements by placing white over them and knocking them out
to set text on them.

Or use the old printer's trick of mapping one of the plates (usually
cyan or magenta) to a spot colour plate.

It'd be easier to help you if we had all the specifics up-front.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer