[XeTeX] newbie umlaut problems

Michael zontalmike at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 17 21:56:15 CET 2009

You were all right- my input file was indeed latin1.  I was sure that it
was UTF-8, but alas, I was wrong.  My editor is vim, and ":set encoding"
returned 'utf-8', so I had checked that off early on.  But deleting all
the tex commands from the file and running "file" on it showed that it
was indeed "test.tex: ISO-8859 text".  I read up on the vim help, and it
turns out there is a more decisive variable in vim, ":set fileencoding",
which was still set to latin1.  I set this to 'utf-8', and now it works :)

Oh well- in the process I now have TexLive 2009 installed.

Now I can really get started with XeTeX.  Thanks for all the prompt help.

-Michael