[XeTeX] Issue with CJK in pdf build

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 02:54:36 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 06:25:31PM EST, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2009, at 23:08, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:
>
>> I think that the error message you see is something that doesn't occur
>> often. In all my 10+ years of (ab)using latex I've never seen this
>> error. It looks like something is not configured correctly in your TeX
>> system.
>
> It looks to me like xetex just hasn't been told to use a suitable font.
> If you try to typeset CJK characters (or Unicode math symbols, arrows,
> etc., etc.) with Latin Modern, for example, then a series of blanks or
> empty rectangles (i.e., the current font's .notdef glyph) is entirely
> normal.

That's probably what was confusing me. I somehow assumed that xetex
would detect that I needed a CJK font, e.g. and ask fontconfig to
provide one.

> I don't know anything about dblatex, but I assume there must be some way
> to tell it to insert additional setup commands to do things like select a
> font. With xelatex, the usual way to do this would be to load the fontspec
> package in the preamble, and then use \setmainfont (and \setsansfont,
> \setmonofont if needed) to select something appropriate for the material
> you're typesetting.

Now that we have narrowed it down, I'll take another look a dblatex. I
didn't see any relevant in the man page so it should be something in its
config file(s).

Thanks,

CJ