[XeTeX] Issue with CJK in pdf build

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 02:31:31 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 06:08:34PM EST, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> I think that the error message you see is something that doesn't occur
> often. In all my 10+ years of (ab)using latex I've never seen this
> error.

There's always a first time :-)

> It looks like something is not configured correctly in your TeX
> system.
>
> To install new fonts onto your system, put them into a directory where
> fonts are expected (for instance, on my gentoo system, it's
>
> $HOME/.fonts

Interestingly, and unbeknownst to myself, I have such a directory but it
is empty.

But in any case, I always install fonts to either sub-directories of
/usr/share for the ones that are in the debian repository (that's where
debian installs them) or of /usr/local/share for tarballs, making sure
all relevant paths are defined to fontconfig before I recreate the
cache.

> and run
>
> # > fc-cache -v
>
> To make sure that your font is available to the system:
>
> # > fc-list | grep XYZ

Oh, it's there alright, and such an application as Seamonkey lists it in
its font pull-down list.

> where XYZ is part of the font name.
>
> To make sure TeX is setup correctly, use a terminal and type
>
> # > texconfig

Thanks for the tip. That's how ignorant I am of install & maintenance
related issues where TeX is concerned: I didn't even know of the
existence of this command.

This being a debian system, I would probably have looked for something
like dpkg-reconfigure texlive or texlive-xetex .. etc.

> This will give a simple menu, where you should be able to set all
> TeX-related options to make sure that your system is consistent.

But it doesn't tell me much about setting fonts, at least not in so many
words.

In any event, I have a feeling this is specific to dblatex's config
because if also tried fop and the pdf was built with fonts that looked
decidedly different - although they also were only 'latin1-capable'.

Thank you for your comments.

CJ