[XeTeX] Issue with CJK in pdf build

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 17 00:25:31 CET 2009

On 16 Nov 2009, at 23:08, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> I think that the error message you see is something that doesn't
> occur often. In all my 10+ years of (ab)using latex I've never seen
> this error. It looks like something is not configured correctly in
> your tex system.

It looks to me like xelatex just hasn't been told to use a suitable
font. If you try to typeset CJK characters (or Unicode math symbols,
arrows, etc., etc.) with Latin Modern, for example, then a series of
blanks or empty rectangles (i.e., the current font's .notdef glyph) is
entirely normal.

I don't know anything about dblatex, but I assume there must be some
way to tell it to insert additional setup commands to do things like
select a font. With xelatex, the usual way to do this would be to load
the fontspec package in the preamble, and then use \setmainfont (and
\setsansfont, \setmonofont if needed) to select something appropriate
for the material you're typesetting.

jk

(etc)