[XeTeX] Help with XeTeX and Georgia (OTF)

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Fri Nov 13 01:06:27 CET 2009

Matthew Mellon wrote:
> I'm a technical writer, and my company just switched standard
> typefaces. For documents destined to both screen and paper, we are to
> use Georgia.
>
> My Windows system has georgia.ttf, and I seem to be able to get
> XeLaTeX to see it... but, when I compile the following document:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \usepackage{xunicode}
>
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
>
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Georgia}
>
> \fontspec[Ligatures={Common}]{Georgia}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> I like fish.
>
> \end{document}
>

> I don't get the fi ligature in my output. When I view Georgia in
> Character Map I can see the ligature at address U+FB01. Is there any
> way to tell XeTeX where the ligature is and make it use the glyph?
>

> - Matthew Mellon

Hi Matthew:

To load the font, try:

\usepackage{xltxtra} % this loads both fontspec & xunicode
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setmainfont[Ligatures=Common]{Georgia}

Also, I found the fi ligature is U+F001 ... but maybe Windows is different.

HTH.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma