[XeTeX] consternation and confusion - xelatex is generating a blank page in the middle of my document

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Nov 12 12:08:15 CET 2009

Am Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:49:26 -0800 schrieb Michiel Kamermans:

> But this is quite interesting... would this mean that the center
> enviroment somehow inserts invisible vertical spacing?

center is a list and it inserts vertical space. If you want to avoid
this use \centering.

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=vertspacefloat

I haven't look at your code, but it is quite easy to generate an
empty page if you have large object in your code. E.g. in the
following example TeX fails to place the rule on page 1, moves it to
page 2, realizes that it doesn't work there either, gives up and
complains in the log (Overfull \vbox (59.80365pt too high).

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\begin{document}
\rule{4cm}{1.1\textheight}
\end{document}