[XeTeX] Charis SIL and omicron

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Mon Nov 9 15:39:16 CET 2009

Arash Zeini wrote:

> Thanks for your response. That's a very strange change. The older versions
> seemed to have the omicron. I would happily change to "Linux Libertine O" if
> it was not for its lack of "expression" when it comes to combining more than
> one diacritic sign.

I can't look farther back than 4.104, but other Greek characters are not
in that version. The FAQ addresses the question of Greek in the font:

Question: Why do the SIL Unicode Roman fonts have some Greek characters,
but not all?

Answer: While it is true that the font includes some Greek characters,
it is not intended to provide general support for the Greek language.
Those Greek characters that were included were done so in order to
support various (primarily linguistic) notational systems. If Greek
language support is needed, the Galatia SIL and Gentium fonts are two
available options.

(I'll add that you *may* be able to find a Greek font that harmonizes
well with Charis at the Greek Font Society
(http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/). Their fonts are good, and free.)

There's an address to send feature requests to on the Charis support
page
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ComplexRomanFontFAQ#support),
but it looks as if they aren't eager to add Greek support.

Libertine lacks the mkmk feature, which seems to be what you want. You
can leave a feature request (see
http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net/Libertine-EN.html#contribute), or
if you know how to use a font editor get involved with that worthy
project and add them yourself. It's Open Source!