[XeTeX] problem getting small caps

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Mon Nov 9 15:26:15 CET 2009

Mike Maxwell wrote:

> It's unclear to me whether version 4.106 (the latest version) actually
> provides *true* small caps (as was apparently the original intention
> in 4.100), or whether it's still using a "fallback mechanism."  How
> can I tell?

You can look inside using FontForge. But wait! You've got a phriendly
phont phreak here to do it for you. The current version of Charis SIL
does indeed have *true* small caps and does not rely on an application's
"fallback mechanism" (presumably scaling down the standard caps --
bleh). The small caps look very nice to me.

Peter