[XeTeX] problem getting small caps

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sun Nov 8 23:07:49 CET 2009

Mike Maxwell wrote:

> I can get that to work for the regular Charis SIL font.  But since the
> regular, bold, italic, and bold italic are each in their own files,
> it's not apparent to me how to get all four as styles of the main font
> using the "external fonts" syntax, since each filename is different.
> That is, I can do
>   \setmainfont[ExternalLocation=/foo/bar/]{CharisSILR.ttf
> for the regular style font (the 'R' in the filename), but then I don't
> have the italic etc. versions.  And if I issue similar \setmainfont
> cmds for the other styles, I end up with the main font being available
> only in whatever style the last \setmainfont refers to.
>
> Whereas \setmainfont finds all the styles if I use the font display
> name, since the display name for all four styles is the same ("Charis
> SIL"); it just doesn't find the right external location.

Yes, that would be best and simplest. I'm not sure if fontspec allows
for loading the main font like this incomplete example, though:

\setmainfont[ExternalLocation=/foo/bar/CharisSIL/,
BoldFont={ExternalLocation=/foo/bar/CharisSIL/}{CharisSILB.ttf}]{CharisSILR}

I can't seem to get the use of braces right inside the optional argument
for the main font file. Is this possible, Will?

Anyway, tomorrow's almost here! You don't have to try to reinvent the
wheel just yet ....

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma