[XeTeX] XeTeXuseglyphmetrics

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed May 27 16:37:00 CEST 2009

Am Wed, 27 May 2009 15:40:43 +0200 schrieb SUN Wenchang:

>> I think a primitive like \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics is useful.  For
>> example, with \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics=1, the spaces around a CJK
>> glyph with be trimed, which is exact what I wanted. Once we have
>> such a primitive, it is easy to ! ;set punctuation glyphs,
>> including margin kerning and more.

> Sorry, I made a mistake. I mean a primitive LIKE
> \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics, say \XeTeXuseglyphbbox,   but not
> \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics  itself.

That would be only useful if the bbox of the chars in the font has
the correct values (and then you wouldn't have a problem as the
width is already used) but as you said they don't have them.

\XeTeXuseglyphmetrics doesn't trim spaces, it doesn't change a bbox.
The bbox of each char is already in the font and with
\XeTeXuseglyphmetrics you can choose to use is or to ignore it and
use a generic value instead. Not more.

--
Ulrike Fischer