[XeTeX] Urdu script problems

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue May 26 20:38:10 CEST 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009 20:26:40 +0200, François Charette
<firmicus at ankabut.net> wrote:
>> I should also say that we're still running xe(la)tex version
>> 3.141592-0.996.
> That is most certainly the reason.

Thanks, I'll try that!

> Yes, you should definitely update! TeXLive 2008 comes with UTF-8
> hyphenation patterns for all languages, but I am not sure to understand.
> Please be more specific on your installation glitches and we will
> certainly be able to help.

When we tried to install it, we got the 'xelatex.fmt' problem.  According

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_faq#xelatex
this can happen if I have non-Unicode hyphenation files.  On the previous
version, I recall either running the files in question through iconv or
deleting them (most of the international files were not of use to us).  But
this time around someone else was doing the install, and when I couldn't
find the hyphenation files, we decided to play with the old version of
xetex for now.  Evidently that was a mistake!

> PS: Please don't use an existing thread when posting on a different topic
> ;)

Ummm... I used an old thread because it had the email address, but thought
I changed the subject line.  Was there something else I should have
changed?

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD