[XeTeX] Bug in fontspec's \newfontfamily?

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 24 10:15:39 CEST 2009

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.05.2009 um 07:54 schrieb Will Robertson:
>
>> Not sure what you mean here?
>
> The simple fact that a new font descriptor from a not infinite set gets
> used up by \newfontface or \newfontfamily.
>
>> Is this a problem I should be investigating?
>
> No. Except, maybe, help people understand that \newfontface and
> \newfontfamily are very efficient and should be preferred, particularly
> because they allow to reuse earlier definitions. (And I also presume
> then a font is only embedded once in the PDF output while otherwise
> there is no guarantee to determine that the same font gets used x times,
> so that it gets embedded these x times.)

Is that the way fontspec is doing it? If so, what is the benefit of
embedding the same font multiple times in the PDF? If there is no
benefit, would this be a bug in fontspec? Because normal end users
should not have to know (or simply do not know) the background effect of
using newfontface or fontspec.

Regards,

Pander