[XeTeX] Embolden disabled?

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri May 22 22:05:24 CEST 2009

Hello

I haven't managed to achieve any fake bold in my first attempt at using the 'embolden' feature (for a font where I'd like to have bold and bold italic small capitals available in case they are required).  I can get good fake italic small caps with this:

\font\mybaskaltitalic="BaskervilleMTPro-Regular:slant=0.3:+smcp:+lnum:mapping=tex-text" at 16pt

But if I try to add embolden to this nothing happens, whatever figure I give, e.g.:

\font\mybaskaltbolditalic="BaskervilleMTPro-Regular:slant=0.3:embolden =3:+smcp:+lnum:mapping=tex-text" at 16pt

(I have tried to set embolden at everything from 0.3 to 3000!)

Have I misunderstood the syntax?  Or is it disabled?   (I am using the 2008 distribution, just installed on a new hard disk - everything else seems to be working normally.)

Thanks

John