[XeTeX] lacking precomposed character

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue May 19 21:58:56 CEST 2009

Hello Jadolov,

On 20/05/2009, at 12:42 AM, jadolov k wrote:

> Why???
> :)

Because a page builds from top to bottom, adding material vertically.
Only when you start a paragraph do you work horizontally.

If you examine the coding for \overstrike, the first thing
it adds to the page is an \hbox . TeX doesn't know that this
contains just a single character, in an attempt to subvert the
usual way of adding characters to a paragraph.

This explains why you need to explicitly start the paragraph
with something like: \indent , \noindent , \null , \leavevmode etc.

As for your suggestion to add overstrike to Xunicode, it actually
already has something like this which you can try out.

\makeatletter
\let\realmacron\=
\def\mymacron#1{{%
   \let\add at encoded@accent\add at set@accentCOMP
   \realmacron{#1}}}
\let\=\mymacron
\makeatother

The coding that results from using handles the accent in
a similar way to the \overstrike  macro, and also properly
takes into account the vertical/horizontal problem, as well
as any \spacefactor issues.

BTW, my copy of Minion Pro doesn't even contain the  schwa  character.

	Version	Version 2.015;PS 002.000;Core 1.0.38;makeotf.lib1.7.9032
	Location	/Users/rossmoor/Library/Fonts/MinionPro-Regular.otf
	Unique name	2.015;ADBE;MinionPro-Regular
	Designer	Robert Slimbach
	Copyright	© 2000, 2002, 2004 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights
Reserved. U.S. Patent D371,799.

You must have a later version.
Version information is not displayed at Adobe's shop.

> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:32 AM, Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> On 2009-05-19 09:34:01 +0930, jadolov k <jadolov.chat at gmail.com> said:
>
> Yes, this works! But it's really strange, because I never entered the
> vertical mode, since I simply created a new document from scratch,
> using the
> XeTeX template provided within the last version of TexShop (on Mac,
> obviously).
>
> (Xe)TeX starts off in vertical mode until you start a paragraph :)
>
> Will

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au