[XeTeX] Most fail safe way to select a font

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 19 15:00:01 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I have been digging around in output of fontconfig and some things are
not really consistent for selecting a font.

Suppose I would like to select a font (name+style) via fontspec in a
fail safe way. What would be the best tactic?

if fullname is not empty:
    if fullname contains ',':
        use any of the values from the comma separated full name
        e.g. "LibrisADFStd-Bold,Libris ADF Std Bold" either is OK
    else:
        use fullname
        e.g. "GoudyBookletter1911Light Condensed" is OK
	however "BetecknaLowerCase" in not OK, unable to select style
else:
    if name contains ',':
        this situation does not occur
    else:
        use full name
        e.g. "GoudyBookletter1911Light Condensed" is OK
	however "Switzera ADF Light" in not OK, unable to select style

Thi sresult in two questions:

1) How to I combine fullname and style when full name is not unique?

2) How to I combine name and style when no full name is available and
name is not unique?

(I know I can use \bfseries etc. but that not relevant for my question.)

Thanks,

Pander