[XeTeX] Indent a block of text

zhu qun-ying qunying at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 17:32:18 CEST 2009

Hi,

I encounter a problem when trying to indent a block of text. In the form of
Normal Text ....
     Indented Text
Normal Text
   Indented Text
Normal Text

I could use itemize to archive the effect but I don't feel it right, then after search in the net, i found this method:
{\addtolength{\leftskip}{4em} Indented Text}

But it does not work consistently. Please see the attached test file.  Where am I wrong? What is the best method to get this effect?

It seems running LaTeX in stead of XeLaTex has the same problem.

I am runing TeXLive 2008 under Slackware 12.2:
XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7)
kpathsea version 3.5.7
Copyright 2008 SIL International.
Kpathsea is copyright 2008 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.

Compiled with ICU version 3.8.1 [with modifications for XeTeX]
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.3.7; using 2.3.7
Compiled with fontconfig version 2.3.1; using 2.6.0
Compiled with libpng version 1.2.29; using 1.2.29
Compiled with xpdf version 3.02pl2

Thanks

--
qun-ying