[XeTeX] Hyphenation in polyglossia - Latin and Greek

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sat May 16 16:58:47 CEST 2009

Le 16 mai 09 à 16:33, wodzicki at math.berkeley.edu a écrit :

> I just checked MiKTeX Options, the Language tab. The relevant portion:
>
> Language      Hypehenation Table        Synonyms
> --------      ------------------        --------
>
> (...)
> greek         loadhyph-el-polyton.tex   polygreek
> monogreek     loadhyph-el-monoton.tex
> ancientgreeek loadhyph-grc.tex
> (...)
>
> So, it seems, Yannis should be satisfied, especially so that `greek'
> in
> MiKTeX by default is polytonic.
>
> Mariusz Wodzicki

That's nice, indeed.
Maybe it would be clearer to call those three languages:

modernpolygreek
modernmonogreek
ancientpolygreek

and even that is not very accurate since the main difference between
modernpolygreek and ancientpolygreek is that some prefixes are
separated etymologically in hyphenation of ancient Greek and
phonetically in hyphenation of modern Greek (for example, one would
hyphenate ὑπερ-αξία in ancient Greek and ὑπε-ρα-ξία
in modern one). But this is not an absolute rule and some publishers
will accept the etymological rule for modern Greek.

And (modern) Greek was certainly hyphenated in the etymological way
until the middle of the 20st century...

So it wouldn't surprise if me someone uses that set of patterns for
modern Greek (or some intermediate set of patterns: that's what I have
done for some publishers, and I ended up having a different patterns
file for each of them...).

yh