[XeTeX] Differences between XeTeX on Mac and Windows

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sat May 16 15:14:29 CEST 2009

On 16 May 2009, at 14:04, John Was wrote:

> Can I assume that the explicit OTF calls such as script=arab will
> function correctly if I use them in a Mac environment?  I have some
> work on a PC which I may need to transfer to a Mac in a little
> while, and would like the transition to go smoothly (I have little
> experience of a Mac), so advice on possible problems, particularly
> with font calls, would be appreciated.

Yes, they should work just the same, if you install the same OpenType
fonts on the Mac.

The only "gotcha" would be if the fonts *also* include AAT tables
(highly unlikely, not many people have created such "dual-technology"
fonts). In that case, the Mac version of xetex will default to using
ATSUI instead of the ICU layout engine, and may give slightly
different behavior. You can override that by appending the /ICU
modifier to the font name if it becomes an issue.