[XeTeX] bug or feature?

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Wed May 13 18:39:19 CEST 2009

Pander wrote:
> Could this feature be used to solve this problem:
>   http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2009-February/011989.html
> increase the total number of different fonts one can use. Each font will
> be used only a few times, not 1000 times.
>
> If so, perhaps this bug/feature could be repositioned like this:
> 1) use font (with or without extension) is caching (default)
> 2) use font with explicitely telling not to cache via a parameter

I must admit that I agree. I am using XeTeX with 100s fonts at the same
time, but each for just one page or so. I'm calling the fonts by their
explicit disk path (not just the filename) and I think loading the fonts
into memory in such case would be an overkill.

With very large fonts (e.g. Japanese) there may be some potential for
optimization, however.

A.

--

Adam Twardoch
| Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
| twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

The illegal we do immediately.
The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
(Henry Kissinger)