[XeTeX] bug or feature?

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 13 09:54:45 CEST 2009

Akira Kakuto wrote:
> Hi Yue Wang,
>
>> Hi, Jonathan Kew:
>> After discussing with Taco and Hans, I think there is a caching
>> "feature" (or "bug") in XeTeX.
>> It seems that XeTeX will cache fonts without the file name suffix,
>> butwon't do that when the suffix is given.
>
>   \starttext
>   \dorecurse{10000}{ hello {\font\a="[AdobeSongStd-Light.otf]"\a Test.}\par}
>   \stoptext
>
>   requires long time,
>
>   \starttext
>   \dorecurse{10000}{ hello {\font\a="[AdobeSongStd-Light]"\a Test.}\par}
>   \stoptext
>
>   finishes fast.
>
> Confirmed.

Could this feature be used to solve this problem:
  http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2009-February/011989.html
increase the total number of different fonts one can use. Each font will
be used only a few times, not 1000 times.

If so, perhaps this bug/feature could be repositioned like this:
1) use font (with or without extension) is caching (default)
2) use font with explicitely telling not to cache via a parameter