[XeTeX] Old to LaTeX New to XeLaTeX

Dr J.D. Billett jdb43 at cam.ac.uk
Mon May 11 18:29:43 CEST 2009

Greetings to all.  I recently completed a Ph.D. dissertation typeset
in LaTeX, which is to be published later this year.  The publishers
would like me to produce camera-ready copy (in Times New Roman), and
I'd like to clean up a few scrappy fixes that I judged acceptable
only for the never-to-be-read-again copy I submitted to my
university's library.  These have especially to do with non-standard
characters for transcribing Old English and medieval Latin
manuscripts.  The readers of comp.text.tex pointed me to Xe(La)TeX as
a straightforward means to accomplish these goals.

I have been playing around with XeLaTeX for the past couple of days,
and I am really impressed.  I am hitting some snags, however, in
applying it to my dissertation.  Namely, I get a lot of error
messages that don't come up with ordinary latex passes.  It seems
that I can hit <enter> repeatedly to get through these, and there is
a big pdf generated at the end.  But I haven't been able to check
whether something is going really wrong in the output, and in any
case it's not an ideal situation.  Given the length (nearly 8,000
lines) and the large number of package calls and macro definitions in
the preamble of the input file, I'm concerned that I may not be able
to isolate the problems.  But I thought it would be worth a shot to
see if anyone on this list could offer some advice about known
conversion hiccups.

To give an example, this is the first error message that comes up,
and it has to do with my definition (in the preamble) of a new series
of footnotes (available in the memoir class) for use in tables:

! No room for a new \count .
\ch at ck ...\else \errmessage {No room for a new #3}
                                                   \fi
l.380 \newfootnoteseries{T}

Here's the apparently offending portion of the preamble:

\newfootnoteseries{T}
\paragraphfootstyle{T}
\renewcommand{\thefootnoteT}{\alph{footnoteT}}
\newcommand{\tbfn}{\makebox[0in]{\kern 4pt\footnotemarkT}} % <
footnote marks in tables

I already have the etex package called (the first to be called of
any), and this problem doesn't up with latex passes (there's no
difference in this error if I "uncall" etex either).  Is there a
difference in XeTeX that I can compensate for somehow?

Many thanks indeed for your time.

Jesse Billett