[XeTeX] Newbie Question

Paul Burkander paul at burkander.com
Thu May 7 21:28:15 CEST 2009

Thanks for all the responses.  With fontmatrix installed, I've been
able to get rolling.

In regard to the conversation that's ensued: I think since xetex uses
system fonts, it might be helpful in the xetex literature to discuss
system font management.  I appreciated learning about fonts in some of
the online xetex documentation, but nowhere did I learn how to manage
fonts (until I came here!).

If the examples were changed from Hoefler to something else, I think
it would result in a different set of people having the problem that I
had.

On a pseudo-related note: Much of the online documentation (e.g.,
Kew's "The Xetex Project: typesetting for the rest of the world.") has
numerous parts that don't show up in my non-adobe pdf viewer.  It
looks like somebody used white out on random portions.

Any ideas why this is?

Thanks again for everyone's help.