[XeTeX] Newbie Question

Paul Burkander paul at burkander.com
Thu May 7 18:53:25 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm new to the listserv, and to xetex.  I'm pretty well versed with
latex, but I'm having trouble getting going with xetex.

I'm running ubuntu 9.04, and I have xetex through my installation of
texlive.  I downloaded a few sample xetex code examples, to compile on
my computer and get a glimpse at how things work, but I have yet to
successfully compile any of the files.

The stumbling block now, as far as I can tell, is that I don't have
Hoefler fonts, which I gather are on Macs typically.  I considered
getting them, since they look nice, but they're almost $300!

My question broadly is, how best should fonts be managed, i.e.,
acquired, and inventoried.  I don't even know what I have on my
system! Despite having read my latex install documentation.  Is there
a way to find out?  Is it worth buying a set of fonts - if so which
set?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this, or other pointers for
using xetex on Ubuntu.

Thanks all,

Paul