[XeTeX] How to let XeTeX use pdftex.map automatically?

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu May 7 08:59:19 CEST 2009

Am Thu, 07 May 2009 09:54:18 +0800 schrieb mathmhb at gmail:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know how to directly use map files of PdfTeX in XeTeX?
>
> I raise this question because I find that when I compile some LaTeX
> documents with XeTeX, some fonts in the generated pdf file are Type3
> instead of Type1 although these fonts have been configured well with
> PdfTeX for using Type1 fonts (*.pfb). The Type1 fonts are already there
> and set correctly in my texmf.cnf.
>
> With this post, I want to know more details on using Type 1 fonts in
> XeTeX. Especially which map files will be searched during the running of
> XeTeX. And I want to know whether the support to Type1 fonts should be
> configured with fc-cache. If it is so, then how should I configure
> fc-cache to work with Type1 fonts? It seems that the reference manual
> focuses on TrueType of OpenType fonts.

xetex generates a pdf by first compiling the .tex to a .xdv  (an
extended .dvi) and then use (in newer versions) xdvipdfmx to convert
the .xdv to pdf.

For *some* fonts xdvipdfmx will refer (like dvips and pdftex) to a
map-file, in the case of xdvipdfmx the map is dvipdfm.map. If you
have added the map-file of your fonts with updmap the correct
entries should be there.

But for the majority of fonts (all you call e.g. with the commands
of fontspec) the map-file is not used. There should be no need to do
anything special with fc-cache to be able to use type1 font. E.g.
the following finds and uses marvosym.pfb in my miktex installlation
without problem:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont{Martin Vogel's Symbols}