[XeTeX] weird hyphenation

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed May 6 17:09:07 CEST 2009

On 6 May 2009, at 10:59, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> Am Tue, 05 May 2009 20:23:25 +0200 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> using XeTeX from TL2007 (the one that comes with my distribution), I
>>> experience a weird problem using Spanish babel hyphenation, since it
>>> gives the following hyphenation: «terrorista-s»? (guillemots and
>>> question mark are included in original text).
>>>
>>> This is wrong in Spanish (and I guess it would be in any other
>>> Western
>>> language). Wouldn't it be possible to define a command that prevents
>>> XeTeX to consider «, » and maybe ? “hyphenable” characters?
>>
>> \lccode`\»=0 should do the trick (you don't need this for ?, its
>> \lccode is already 0).
>
> Thanks, it worked fine.
>
>> I don't know why » has got assigned an \lccode different from 0.
>
> I don't know either.

I suspect this is because unicode-letters.tex initializes the code
tables appropriately for Unicode, but then latex.ltx overrides the
assignments for certain codepoints in the 0x80..FF range based on T1
encoding. IIRC, the .ini file was updated for TL'08 so that these
codes are reset properly after loading latex.ltx, so this problem was
fixed at that time (I think).