[XeTeX] Certain ligatures in Adobe Garamond Premier Pro

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Fri May 1 23:00:17 CEST 2009

Rembrandt Wolpert wrote:

> Is there a simple solution to turn off the sp and st ligatures while
> keeping the rest?

If by "simple" you mean not going in to fiddle with the font, and not
using the sort of \newcommand kludges you were using before, I don't
know: I don't think so. It seems to me a pretty simple fix to use
FontForge to edit the font (moving the t_h ligature and any others
you're sure you want to use all the time from dlig to liga). I can help
with the process (perhaps off list). But getting FontForge installed and
running (especially if you're a Windows user) may be a trial. And then
if you want to make changes in all 34 Adobe Garamond files, you'll
likely be at it for an hour or more.

I did something similar a few months ago, adding a couple of precomposed
char+diacritic glyphs to Garamond Premier Pro. By the time I was done
with all 34 files I was ready to scream. But I'm glad I did it.

Peter