[XeTeX] Advanced East Asian typesetting

Gerrit z0idberg at gmx.de
Fri May 1 00:32:27 CEST 2009

Ok, thanks, I’ll take a look.

Concerning vertical: This rotated glyphs approach seems a little bit clumsy to
me. Is there no possibility in Xelatex to instead rotate the cursor (or
something like that?)? Does anyone know how this works in other word
processors? Or is latex/xetex basically not equipped to do that?

I guess, currently the rendering engine places the cursor for the next
character at the right or at the left (rtl) of the current character. I guess
for vertically, it should just be put beneath it? Also, I guess PDF has a way
to display vertical text. In that case, the text selection cursor becomes a
vertical line (like _ and not |).
But seeing it like this, what would be the difference between rtl and
vertically? After all, the “cursor” (I don’t really understand the technical
details, so I’m just guessing here) needs to be placed at another position
than ltr; but may it be at the left or at the bottom can’t be that much of a
difference, can it?

But I think maybe this is not possible with latex packages, but instead would
need some changes in xetex itself?

That article would be nice! Thanks!

Gerrit