[XeTeX] translating CSs into Persian (New XeTeX primitive required)

وفا خلیقی vafakh9 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 17:22:51 CET 2009

Hi Jonathan

Today, I was playing with control sequences in Plain TeX and LaTeX and was
translating them into Persian using \let and \def control sequences. But
when it comes to \let and \def themselves, this approach does not make any
sense and in fact has side effects.

So I think it is nice if you could add one primitive namely "semiticname" so
that we can translate all CSs without side effects.

so let's say I want to translate "def" primitive into its corresponding
Persian primitive, then I could have

\semiticname{def}{تر}

or something like that.

The other thing is that as you know hyperref and color packages got issues
with RTL in XeTeX. so if you could define two new primitives namely
"beginspecial" and "endspecial", then I as a macro packager could easilly
write a patch for hyperref and color packages so that the intended code goes
between "beginspecial" and "endspecial" primitives.

-- VK