[XeTeX] cannot get Hoefler text to work with XeTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 01:24:42 CET 2009

On 2009-03-19 09:57:16 +1030, "Fr. Michael Gilmary"
<FrMichaelGilmary at maronitemonks.org>
said:

> But whenever I've tried using options
> [Numbers=OldStyle] or [Numbers=Lining] I only get the warnings and no
> change.

This bug was fixed with Mac OS X 10.5. (One of the few bugs I've
reported that hasn't been marked "duplicate" :) )

Apple changes the features their fonts support fairly randomly with
every OS release. Bugs get fixed and new bugs appear; 10.5 decimated
the features supported by Apple's version of Palatino (presumably in
order to make it map feature-to-feature with a real OpenType font --
impending signs of Apple silently dropping AAT, perhaps?).

> I've also never been able to fix the funny 'tails' on italics from
> Hoefler.

\setmainfont[
  ItalicFeatures={Contextuals={NoWordInitial,NoWordFinal}}
]{Hoefler Text}

Best wishes,
Will