[XeTeX] cannot get Hoefler text to work with XeTeX

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Thu Mar 19 00:27:16 CET 2009

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> I don't think it works like that
>>

>   It does for me, I tested it.  What version of Hoefler Text do you
> have?  Mine is 6.0d7e1, dated 2007-09-11, from Mac OS 10.5.4
>

>> At least that's what I get here. If you "explode" the Hoefler Text
>> suitcase (using fondu), you'll find that the fonts are .ttf. Do they
>> work as AATs do?
>>

>   Yes, that's exactly the same information.  You should see a morx table
> in you TrueType fonts.
>
> 	Arthur

Aha! Now I'm learning some more of the Hoefler Text Mystery! I'm working
on Mac 10.4.11.

My Hoefler version number is 5.0d7e2 dated March 7, 2005. And, looking
with FontForge, yes, I've found the morx table.

Attached you'll see the ATSUI palette (I think) which shows the possible
variations with the numbers. But whenever I've tried using options
[Numbers=OldStyle] or [Numbers=Lining] I only get the warnings and no
change. Maybe it's called something else in this version of Hoefler? I
don't have time right now ... but I'll try to run AATinfo.tex (or
whatever it's called) on it to see what's there.

I've also never been able to fix the funny 'tails' on italics from
Hoefler. Even Jonathan's XeTeX-notes.pdf has examples of the tails on
italics as he uses Hoefler for that document. It seems to be contextual,
but also uncontrollable, at least for me. Any clues about that?

All suggestions are appreciated.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma