[XeTeX] XeLatex + Unicode + Footnote issue

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Mar 18 15:25:35 CET 2009

Am Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:13:11 +0530 schrieb Sreenivasa Guttal:

> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> I have attached the sample files (tex, log and pdf).
> 1. kosh.zip  contains what I am getting with sanskrit
> 2. try.zip contains what I am getting with english.
>
> I would like to enable footnote para feature, expecting the footnotes to
> appear horizontally instead of linearly, as in try.pdf.

I can reproduce the problem even with normal english text. It seems
to be font related, some fonts gives footnotes as expected in
para-mode and other not. The whole is quite curious and will need
some more investion. I'm sending here a minimal example with some
fonts which lead to the problem and some fonts which works:

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
%\setmainfont{Sanskrit 2003} %no para
%\setmainfont{Bitstream Cyberbit} %no para
%\setmainfont{Arial} %no para
%\setmainfont{Latin Modern Roman} %OK, para
%\setmainfont{Times New Roman} %OK, para
\setmainfont{Verdana} %no para
%\setmainfont{Cambria} %OK, para

\usepackage[para]{manyfoot}
\DeclareNewFootnote[para]{default}

\begin{document}
\mainmatter
My name is \footnote{XXXX}YYYYY. \footnote{ZZZZZ}I work for
\footnote{PPP}ABCTechnologieslimited.
My name is \footnote{XXXX}YYYYY. \footnote{ZZZZZ}I work for
\footnote{PPP}ABCTechnologieslimited.
My name is \footnote{XXXX}YYYYY. \footnote{ZZZZZ}I work for
\footnote{PPP}ABCTechnologieslimited.
My name is \footnote{XXXX}YYYYY. \footnote{ZZZZZ}I work for
\footnote{PPP}ABCTechnologieslimited.

\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer