[XeTeX] Colored Arabic in Tables

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Wed Mar 11 15:40:12 CET 2009

Tilman Hannemann a écrit :
> Hello Ross,
>
> Am 11.03.2009 um 03:46 schrieb Ross Moore:
>

>> I don't pretend to understand what these characters mean
>> nor how they should look;
>>

> If you remove the tabularx environment from the example I sent, the
> second and the third letter won't have any accents. That's it how it
> should look like.
>

>> just that there is complete
>> consistency in the output that I get.
>>

> That confirms at least it is not a problem with my local configuration.
>
> Thanks, Tilman

Hallo Tilman,

My first guess was that tabularx does not play well with bidi, since in
the latter the standard tabular environment of latex is redefined to
allow right-to-left display of tables in RTL environments; but these
redefinitions are not activated when the package array.sty (or packages
that depend on it like memoir and tabularx) is loaded. Yet, loading
tabularx before bidi (i.e. before arabxetex, which requires it) does not
solve your problem at all. It is thus more likely that tabularx
interacts with font mappings in a subtle way which I have not yet
investigated.

There is an easy way to circumvent this though: simply omit [fullvoc] in
the table and manually quote the vowels:

 \begin{tabularx}{\linewidth}{X}
    \textarab{\colorred{h"a}}\\
 \end{tabularx}

This produces the expected result.

(BTW if you use arabxetex for arabic then you probably don't need
polyglossia.)

Best,