[XeTeX] \sloppy or \tolerance with fontspec

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 7 20:21:27 CET 2009

On 7 Mar 2009, at 14:04, John Hughes wrote:

> When I compile a LaTeX document with XeLaTeX and the fontspec package,
> \sloppy, \sloppypar and \tolerance (set to any value) have no effect.
> The commands work fine with LaTeX, pdfLaTeX, and XeLaTeX without
> fontspec. I am using MikTeX 2.7 on Windows. Is this a feature or a bug
> in fontspec? Is there a way of changing the tolerance in XeTeX with
> fontspec?

I don't think fontspec touches \tolerance. With an example like:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Times New Roman}
\usepackage{lipsum}
\begin{document}

\lipsum[4]

\sloppy
\lipsum[4]

\end{document}

I see \sloppy having the expected effect (the first paragraph has an
overfull hbbox; the second doesn't, but has some worse spacing).
Perhaps the particular combinations of text and fonts you were using
just didn't happen to come out any different with changed \tolerance?