[XeTeX] Patch: Add an entry for stemv

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 4 13:39:55 CET 2009

On 4 Mar 2009, at 11:58, Yue Wang wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> If others have an opinion on this too, I'll be happy to discuss
>> further. But at the moment, my gut feeling is that a xetex-level font
>> option is the wrong place to solve this, a driver setup file would be
>> better (and also simpler, probably).
>
> Well, some users in China asked me to write a patch for xetex, so I
> did so..
> However, I agree with you that we should not do this in engine level.
> (and I think there is no need to do this in driver level either, since
> users can edit and fine tuning  their fonts using any advanced font
> editing software.)

Sure, in theory they can do that (provided the font license permits
it!). However, many users will not feel competent to undertake
something like this, even if they become aware that it would be
possible. On the other hand, a driver-level workaround such as I
described would allow the XeTeX system as a whole to transparently and
automatically improve the results (for whichever "common" fonts people
provide the settings for). Seems like that would be a worthwhile
benefit for the user community as a whole.

So I do think it's worth doing something about this, I just think
patching xetex to add another option to the \font primitive is not the
most helpful approach.