[XeTeX] Kerning problems (?) with fixed-width fonts

Alexey Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Mon Mar 2 07:22:08 CET 2009

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 01:20:41 +0200
Nikos Platis wrote:

> Now that I look better, Courier New does not seem to have the
> problem, but Consolas surely does. It is better exemplified by typing
> a url, e.g. www.xetex.org, where it can be seen that the dots are
> moved to the left.

I believe your problem occurs because TeX automatically adds some space
at the right side of the full stop. You should enable \frenchspacing
to prevent this.

> Also the Consolas font does not seem to support
> the Kerning option of fontspec (I receive a relevant warning). This
> is a pitty, because Consolas is a nice constant-width font...

That's natural, because kerning is mostly irrelevant for monospaced
fonts.

--
Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty