[XeTeX] Polyglossia does not recognize greek fonts

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 1 00:02:07 CET 2009

On 28 Feb 2009, at 18:15, Nikos Platis wrote:

> I am trying to use polyglossia with some of the "old" Microsoft fonts
> such as Georgia and Times New Roman for greek texts, and I receive the
> error message
>
> ! Package polyglossia Error:
> The current font does not contain the Greek script!
> Please define \greekfont with \newfontfamily.
>
> while it is certain that these fonts contain the Greek script.

Hmmmm, this is a bit misleading. The fonts do contain Greek
characters, but do not have OpenType support for the Greek script.
However, as Greek is a "simple" script, at least in its unaccented
form or using precomposed accented characters, it can work OK without
specific OpenType support....

> If I just skip all these errors, the pdf comes out correctly.

....as shown by the fact that the result is correct.

> Moreover,
> if I use \newfontfamily\greekfont{Georgia}(with \setmainfont{Georgia})
> the document also compiles without errors.

If you define \greekfont, then I guess polyglossia assumes you know
what you're doing, and simply uses it. If you don't define this, then
it attempts to turn on the appropriate OpenType behavior in your
current font, finds that Greek isn't supported, and complains.

> I believe this should not be happening...

Yes, I agree. In other cases such as Arabic, the error would be more
helpful, as a font that lacks OpenType Arabic support will not render
correctly (even if it includes the characters -- yes, there are such
fonts). But for "simple" scripts like Cyrillic or Greek, perhaps it
would be better to just write a message to the log, rather than
actually consider it an error.

François, what do you think?