[XeTeX] xelatex + slanted

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 10:37:04 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-29 18:36:34 +0930, Peter Dyballa
<Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> said:

> Am 29.06.2009 um 02:07 schrieb Will Robertson:
>
>> \setmainfont[
>>    ItalicFont={MyFont},
>>    ItalicFeatures={FakeSlant}
>>  ]{MyFont}
>>
>> Then \textit (and \textsl) will do the right thing.
>
> They're doing both the same thing
 This is not right.

I abhor the very concept of having distinct "slanted" vs "italic"
shapes. It's only a matter of curiousity that fonts like Computer
Modern support such an absurd idea. That fontspec treats \fontshape{sl}
and \fontshape{it} the same is very much a feature, not a bug.

(If you really want, you can override this with normal NFSS commands
and assign a different font to the sl shape. I simply see no reason
whatsoever to do so.)

Will