[XeTeX] Problem getting ffi ligature

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Jun 26 20:29:20 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 05:25:43PM +0100, Dr J.D. Billett wrote:
>> Peter Baker wrote:
>>
>> In FontForge, load TeX Gyre Termes-Regular (later do the same for the
>> other font faces). Select Element-Font Info, and from the box that
>> pops
>> up choose Lookups. The problem is that the f f ? f_f ligature is table
>> 9, while the f f i ? f_f_i is in table 10. The least intensive way to
>> sort this out is to create f_f i ? f_f_i in either table, at the
>> bottom
>> of the table. To do this, click Edit Data and then New, then type in
>> the
>> two halves of the ligature equation. OK to both boxes, then Generate
>> Fonts.
>
> I've obviously made a mess of this, as now xelatex is typesetting the
> whole book in bfseries!  GUST wrote back and said the problem is with
> the developers.  I'll just have to hope for the best, I guess.

This is certainly a font bug, so GUST, not the developers, have to fix
their fonts.

Any how, the attached python script would fix that issue for any TeX
Gyre font, you'll need FontForge Python extension installed, run it on
the font:

./ffl_ffi.py font.otf

or you can run it on all .otf fonts in the current dir:

for i in *.otf; do ./ffl_ffi.py $i; done

And it'll create new fonts with the same name and .otf.otf extension,
replace old fonts with those and it should work (it does for me at
least).

Regards,
 Khaled

--