[XeTeX] Unicode hyphenation patterns

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Jun 26 16:08:27 CEST 2009

There was a msg today over on the Ling-Tex mailing list, pointing to the
CTAN updates.  One of the updates is a new Unicode hyphenation package:
   http://www.mail-archive.com/ctan-ann@dante.de/msg02293.html
It looks like this should make it easier to install XeTeX.  At least every
time we've installed xetex, we have to find the old 8-bit hyphenation
pattern files, convert the ones we need, and comment out the rest (easier
than trying to convert them all).  Otherwise we get the "there is no
xelatex.fmt format" error when we run the xelatex installer.

I imagine that one could download the new unicode hyphenation files, and
modify the xelatex install script to use them in place of the old files.
Does anyone know the details on that?  Like where should the Unicode
hyphenation files go (relative to the texlive install, or otherwise), and
what mod(s) does the xetex install file need?

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD