[XeTeX] Problem getting ffi ligature (Pander)

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:38:45 CEST 2009

Dr J.D. Billett wrote:
> Gareth, Peter, Pander, thanks all very much!
>
>> Pander wrote:
>>
>> works for me:
>>
>> \fontspec{TeX Gyre
>> Termes}\addfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}\addfontfeatures{Ligatures=Common}IJ
>>
>> ff ffi ffl fi fk fl ij
>>

> This doesn't work for me.  I wonder what the difference is.

Doesn't work for me either: this route should produce the same results
as your original version, and does for me.

>> Peter Baker wrote:
>>
>>> You could
>>> could get a copy of FontForge and fix it yourself.
>
> I downloaded FontForge, and it's pretty much Greek to me.  I couldn't
> see any one GSUB table to edit.  The little group that includes ffi and
> fi seemed to me to be ordered as you and Gareth suggest it should be
> (f_f_i first, followed by f_i).  But obviously I'm not looking in the
> right place!  I've copied our correspondence in the "Contact" form of
> the GUST website.  Maybe some help will be forthcoming.

In FontForge, load TeX Gyre Termes-Regular (later do the same for the
other font faces). Select Element-Font Info, and from the box that pops
up choose Lookups. The problem is that the f f → f_f ligature is table
9, while the f f i → f_f_i is in table 10. The least intensive way to
sort this out is to create f_f i → f_f_i in either table, at the bottom
of the table. To do this, click Edit Data and then New, then type in the
two halves of the ligature equation. OK to both boxes, then Generate Fonts.

> Eight years into my TeX/LaTeX career, I find myself asking, Why can't
> this crap just work out of the box?  But then I remember that it's free
> and that once I get it working it will be better than anything I could
> buy.  Any informal tips on how to fix this in FontForge would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Jesse

Gareth.

--