[XeTeX] Minimal files needed for XeLaTeX package to run on Windows

Andy Black andy_black at sil.org
Mon Jun 22 20:18:27 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have an XML-based way of writing linguistic papers and have been
working on writing some XSLT transforms that will convert the XML to
XeLaTeX. The idea is that an author will create the XML-based linguistic
paper and then at the press of a button, a PDF will be produced.  The
process for producing this PDF includes converting the XML to XeLaTeX
and then running xelatex to produce the PDF.

For my testing, I've gratefully used the MiKTeX package for Windows
(http://miktex.org/2.7/setup).  Since the people using my XML-based way
of writing linguistic papers will only be concerned with getting the
generated PDF and will not be wanting to have all the capabilities that
the MiKTeX package provides, I'd like to create a streamlined
installation package that includes only the files needed for this
particular application.  That is, I do not want to have to tell my users
that they need to download 80MB worth of MiKTeX when they will not need
the vast majority of those 80MBs.

So my question is, "What is the minimum set of files needed to run
xelatex on a Windows machine?"  Some other important factors in this
issue are that the users may use just about any Unicode Windows font (so
the package has to include the appropriate programs for dealing with
these) and the generated XeLaTeX file also uses these packages:

booktabs
colortbl
color
fancyhdr
fontspec
hyperref
longtable
multirow
needspace
tabularx
xltxtra

Thus, the installation package will need to include the appropriate
files for these.

Finally, are there any licensing issues that must be addressed in
creating such a streamlined installation package?

Thank you very much for any help you can give in this task.

--Andy