[XeTeX] arabxetex utf vocalization options

Juan Acevedo juan.acevedo at gmx.net
Mon Jun 22 11:35:10 CEST 2009

Amigos,

 From a sentence in p.5 of arabxetex manual,

" There are also advantages of  choosing an ArabTEX mapping (i.e., one
of the novoc, voc and fullvoc modes) even with UTF-8 encoding, as it
provides easy access to special glyphs and some useful features. See
further below."

I gather it should be possible to modify the Arabic vocalization even
when the input is directly in UTF8 Arabic. Is this wishful reading? If
not, I would much appreciate help achieving this. So far, if I say,
for instance,

\textarab[utf,novoc]{ يُحْيِيْ وَيُمِيْتُ}

compilation stops saying something like "no novoc mapping in utf mode".

Alternatively, in a worst-case scenario, does anyone know or can
suggest a painless way to convert (lots of) utf Arabic into ArabTeX-
encoded Arabic?

Many thanks,
Juan