[XeTeX] Xetex and Komascript Compatibility

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 13 13:50:08 CEST 2009

On 12 Jun 2009, at 15:21, Peter Seibel wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Peter Dyballa<Peter_Dyballa at web.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> Am 12.06.2009 um 08:17 schrieb teginch at bluewin.ch:
>
>>> 2. Does anybody have some suggestions for a fix or workaround ?
>>
>> You mean the over-full box? Change the text, change the font,
>> change the
>> width of text (no textarea, but geometry), apply more kerning,
>> remove the
>> unbreakable space characters.
>
> You can also look at the .log file and check that TeX isn't missing a
> chance to hyphenate. Look at the last word of the overfull line in the
> log and TeX will show you where it could be hyphenated

Actually, this isn't true when using xelatex with opentype fonts
(rather than old-style .tfm files).... because of the different way
text is handled, you won't see potential hyphenation points in the
overfull (or underfull) box messages. Similarly, the plain TeX
\showhyphens macro won't work in this mode.

There was some discussion of this on the mailing list long ago... I
can't remember offhand whether Will provided a xetex-compatible
reimplementation of \showhyphens in one of his packages.