[XeTeX] Xetex and Komascript Compatibility

teginch at bluewin.ch teginch at bluewin.ch
Fri Jun 12 08:17:21 CEST 2009

Hi,
My name is Thomas Gyger (Tom). I'm new to this list and relatively new to Latex. (Actually I knew about the existence
of TEX from my early years as a computer scientist in the 80's, but I thought TEX belonged to computer science
archeology topics, before I rediscovered it a few months ago, through a friend who uses it in his sociology papers). My
interest is in Latex is primarily private, for non-technical articles or books. I currently try to typeset an old novel
an run into some problems I have no idea how to solve. I get lots of Overfull hbox warnings in document of less than
200 pages of french text. So far, I believe I have been able to pin down the behavior to simple example :

I use Xetex and I'd like to use the Komascript package (at least the typearea package) and polyglossia. When I typeset
the example below with either the Komascript document class "scrbook" or just by explicitely loading the "typearea"
package, I get an "Overfull hbox" warning (actually lots of them when I typeset the entire book). But if I remove
"typearea" and if I use just the standard document class "book", in other words if there is no Komascritp stuff loaded,
everything works fine (for the simple example below, as well as for the entire book). I don't get any overfull hbox
warning.

Now my questions :

1. Are there any compatibility issues between Xetex/Xelatex and Komascript ?

2. Does anybody have some suggestions for a fix or workaround ?

3. From the logfile, it appears that Babel is automatically loaded implicitely, even if I actually wanted to use
Polyglossia. Is this normal, necessary, problematic ?

Thanks for any help.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ here goes my tex source

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex

%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass{book}

\usepackage{typearea}

\usepackage{xunicode}

\usepackage{fontspec}

\usepackage{xltxtra}

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\setmainfont{Minion Pro}

\setdefaultlanguage{french}

\begin{document}

\thispagestyle{empty}

Emmenried reste là , muet, haletant, aveuglé, mais dans son âme naissent d'âpres désirs, s'éveillent d'exaltantes
ambitions, qui ne se précisent ni même ne se formulent, qui ne l'étreignent pas moins d'une brutale et chaude étreinte.
Il n'est rien, lui, il n'a rien, il est seul, toute sa fortune dans son baluchon au bout du bâton de coudrier, et
pourtant Sorbeval est à  lui... Il a découvert son Amérique, il y fondera son royaume... Bien que, par l'effet d'une
sorte de vertige, il ne soit plus qu'à  demi conscient, il est de tempérament trop rassis et de nerfs trop sains pour
ne pas réagir instinctivement.

\end{document}