[XeTeX] Combining NFSS fonts and OTF fonts with XeLaTeX and fontspec

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 08:44:23 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-06-09 00:09:56 +0930, "Zwam, S.H.M. van"
<s.h.m.v.zwam at tue.nl> said:

> Before making my purchase I have been experimenting, but I cannot
> figure out how to tell XeLaTeX/fontspec what to use. I work in Windows,
> and the font does not come installed on my machine, except in the
> MikTeX LaTeX installation. I have tried \setmainfont{Charis SIL} as an
> alternative, but it does not look nearly as good as
> \usepackage[charter]{mathdesign} (it seems to be slightly bigger and
> darker).

What's the exact problem you're having? There shouldn't be (too much
of) a problem writing
    \usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}% set maths fonts
    \setmainfont{Charis SIL}% set text font
unless I'm mistaken.

On 2009-06-09 07:21:55 +0930, Peter Dyballa
<Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> said:

> Are you looking for a statement like this?
>
> 	[...] ItalicFont={HiraMinPro-W3:+ital} [...]

Are you sure this works? If so, it's a fluke, and might not work in the
future. Font features should be activated with ItalicFeatures={}, and
so on.

Will