[XeTeX] Ligatures question

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 3 13:54:51 CEST 2009

The specific case of reproducing an early edition would of course be an
exception (and perhaps likewise even a first edition of a Neo-Latin text
found in manuscript).  With classical texts one tends to work on the
assumption that readers will want to have everything harmonized into a form
that would have been adopted by scriptoria of say the first or second
century AD.  I wouldn't myself cope very well with a text of Plautus which
used Plautus's spelling (no double consonants for a start)....

But there would be considerable problems in replicating what amount to
linguistic errors or misconceptions from the Renaissance period.  Would you
want to print 'illustreis' just because some humanist scholars thought that
was the right form?   (Cf. Lambinus' edition of Lucretius!)

The important thing, though, is that  those involved in producing such work
(authors and typesetters) understand the issues, which I hope have been
clarified enough to let people see that it's not just a matter of personal
choice.

I rather think we've run out of typographical (as opposed to scholarly or
aesthetic) points to discuss on this question!

John