[XeTeX] Ligatures question

Benct Philip Jonsson bpj at melroch.se
Wed Jun 3 12:20:11 CEST 2009

I got the impression your intention was to make a
facsimile of some Renaissance or early modern
print.  That would be the (only) proper context
for using æ and œ in Latin text. The medievals,
and a good deal into the 16th century mostly just
wrote e.  I have a reproduction of a 16th century
woodcut where PRELIVM figures prominently.  OTOH
in an atlas of the 17th century it's æ (and some œ
-- it's less frequent in the language) all over.
IMHO the question one must ask is "how did the
author of the text pronounce his Latin?"  Of
course with late Ancient texts that question is a
bit moot; the modern consensus is however to use
unligatured _ae, oe_ in ancient texts even of the
late period.  With Renaissance and early modern
texts I guess the choice would be to reproduce the
usage of the Vorlage or to normalize to
unligatured spelling. Personally I'm leaning in
the facsimile direction. A normalized text can be
mendacious at times, but honestly typography may
be the least problem there -- editors correcting
grammar is much worse!

BTW late ancient inscriptions tended to use OE
where AE would be correct by classical standards.
It's usually thought to have been just an
orthographic fashion.  As an historical linguist
one may expect misspellings with OE for Ē or Ĭ and
AE for Ĕ, but AFAIK none occur -- at least not to
any significant degree.

Then there is the spelling _cœlum_ for _caelum_,
ubiquitous in Renaissance and early modern sources
and due to a mistaken association with Greek
_koilos_.  Should such things be 'normalized'
when editing a text of that period?  Answers
may differ, but there sure is no straight one.