[XeTeX] Ligatures question

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 2 18:40:57 CEST 2009

If you really want them to happen automatically wherever the text has
"ae" or "oe", without having to type \ae, \oe or æ, œ, then there are
a couple of options:

(1) use an OpenType font that implements these as a "diphthong
ligatures" feature, and turn this on via fontspec (sorry, I don't have
an example offhand, but I believe there are such fonts); or

(2) create a font-mapping to convert the sequences "ae" and "oe" to
the single Unicode characters æ and œ, and load this with the font
you're using, just like the standard tex-text mapping converts "``" to
“, etc.

JK